The Road Trip by Beth O'Leary | Book Review

 

The Road Trip by Beth O'Leary

The Road Trip by Beth O'Leary
Publisher: Quercus
Publication Date: March 29th, 2022
Genre: Romance, Chick Lit, Contemporary
Addd to Goodreads
Source: Pansing
Rating: 3⭐
 
Blurb
 
 Addie and her sister are about to embark on an epic road trip to a friend's wedding in the north of Scotland. The playlist is all planned and the snacks are packed.

But, not long after setting off, a car slams into the back of theirs. The driver is none other than Addie's ex, Dylan, who she's avoided since their traumatic break-up two years earlier.

Dylan and his best mate are heading to the wedding too, and they've totalled their car, so Addie has no choice but to offer them a ride. The car is soon jam-packed full of luggage and secrets, and with three hundred miles ahead of them, Dylan and Addie can't avoid confronting the very messy history of their relationship...

Will they make it to the wedding on time? And, more importantly... is this really the end of the road for Addie and Dylan?
 
 
Review 

A road trip with friends is on my bucket list. Did I manage to tick it off? The answer is no. I know I'm already in my 30s and I haven't done that, but it is fine. It's cool. Anyway, this is so not about me, but this is about Addie and her sister on an epic road trip to a friend's wedding. However, they encounter a minor mishap with someone who Addie wants to avoid. That's none other than her ex-boyfriend, Dylan. The journey isn't as smooth as it seems.

The story is told in two POVs and is written in the Now and Then timeline. So, literally, we can follow the story easily. As I said, the journey is not as smooth as it seems because it is totally a mess and chaotic. The unfinished business, the history of Addie and Dylan, starts to bubble up again. What has gone wrong between the two of them and what is the cause of it? I'm equally in a mess as they are, as I can project how chaotic it is in that car. Frankly speaking, I think the key problem between the two is communication and the toxic friendship between Dylan and Marcus. The thing is, the only character I like in this book is Addie's sister. The chemistry between Addie and Dylan is just a big NO. No chemistry, no sparks, no love? I couldn't feel they were connected to each other at all. Marcus, the toxic best friend, is another annoying character, and I seriously want him to be quiet. I keep on thinking, shouldn't a road trip be fun and relaxing, no?

I mean, I did like the fact that the two did want to actually talk things out. I really want to enjoy reading the book, but my head kept tossing around with the mess, so I do not know what I should feel about it. It's just that. I mean, there's some sense of humour in it, but not so much. This is definitely a roller coaster ride for me. The angst, the emotion, the revelation were shocking. Overall, A Second Chance Love appeals to me, but I have mixed feelings about it. As I said, I don't hate it or like it. So, that's that.

0 comments