XOXO by Axie Oh | Book Review

 

XOXO by Axie Oh

XOXO by Axie Oh
Publisher: Harper Teen
Publication Date: July 12th, 2022
Genre: YA Romance
Add to Goodreads
Source: Times Read
Rating: 3.75⭐

Blurb

Cello prodigy Jenny has one goal: to get into a prestigious music conservatory. When she meets mysterious, handsome Jaewoo in her uncle’s Los Angeles karaoke bar, it’s clear he’s the kind of boy who would uproot her careful plans. But in a moment of spontaneity, she allows him to pull her out of her comfort zone for one unforgettable night of adventure…before he disappears without a word.

Three months later, when Jenny and her mother arrive in South Korea to take care of her ailing grandmother, she’s shocked to discover that Jaewoo is a student at the same elite arts academy where she’s enrolled for the semester. And he’s not just any student. He’s a member of one of the biggest K-pop bands in the world—and he’s strictly forbidden from dating.

When a relationship means throwing Jenny’s life off the path she’s spent years mapping out, she’ll have to decide once and for all just how much she’s willing to risk for love.


Review

I would say that this is a cute, heartwarming, and light read. I'm enjoying my time reading the book. I am a kpop fan, so this book was a joy for me. A cute romance between a cellist and a K-pop idol where they first met at a karaoke bar. I can't wait to get started on the story. BUT. The finale was a downfall. It should be better than that. I'm kind of sad about how it wrapped up so quickly.

The story follows Jenny, a trained cellist who unknowingly meets Jaewoo, a K-pop idol, at her uncle's karaoke bar. They embark on an adventure in Los Angeles that will leave an indelible mark on their hearts before Jaewoo returns back to South Korea that night. A window of opportunity widens for Jenny when she follows her mother back to Seoul to take care of her grandmother. That is when she crosses paths with Jaewoo at the arts academy. Only then does she realise Jaewoo is a member of K-pop Idol, where one of the rules imposed on them is that dating is forbidden!

Reading this book makes me imagine the Korean drama I watch. very exciting! Should this book be turned into a Korean drama, I will be one of the first to watch, but with a different ending. That would be even more amazing. I love every character in this book, especially the friendship between Jenny and Sori. It is wonderful, although at first Sori is so rude and I did feel annoyed with her. However, things happened, and they made the best friendship ever! Jenny and Jaewoo's relationship is definitely complicated. It's never easy when one is a popular K-pop idol, right? Nevertheless, they try their best to stay together. Honestly, they make a cute couple, but that is that. I'm not over the moon with them. To me, it's just a cute couple. I don't know why, but I feel like there's a lack somewhere in the book that's not enough for me to go yay and wow. I wish there was. Anyway, I did enjoy reading the book. I can't help myself imagining the elite school they attend. Overall, a light read and a splash of fun. But not with the ending. That's pretty sad, actually.

0 comments