The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani

 

The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani
 

The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani
Publisher: Harper Collins
Publication Date: August 30th, 2022
Genre: YA Fantasy, Fairytale
Add to Goodreads
Source: Times Read
Rating: 4.75⭐

Blurb
 
THE SCHOOL FOR GOOD AND EVIL will soon be a major motion picture from Netflix--starring Academy Award winner Charlize Theron, Kerry Washington, Laurence Fishburne, Michelle Yeoh, Sofia Wylie, Sophie Anne Caruso, Jamie Flatters, Earl Cave, Kit Young, and many others!

The New York Times bestselling The School for Good and Evil series is an epic journey into a dazzling new world, where the only way out of a fairy tale is to live through one. Start here to follow Sophie, Agatha, and everyone at the school from the beginning!

Two best friends have been chosen to be students at the fabled School for Good and Evil, where ordinary boys and girls are trained to be fairy-tale heroes and villains. One will train for Good, one will become Evil's new hope. Each thinks they know where they belong, but when they are swept into the Endless Woods, they're switched into the opposite schools. Together they'll discover who they really are and what they are capable of, because the only way out of a fairy tale . . . is to live through it.

This paperback edition features cover artwork from Netflix's The School for Good and Evil film and includes Soman Chainani's on-set movie diary!



Review

I saw this book back in 2016 when I worked in one of the bookstores and it was highly recommended by my head department. Of course, I'm curious, but I didn't get it that time because I have no idea why. Alright, fine. I admit it because I bought too many other books. Yeah, then this book came in the mail and I couldn't hide the fact that I was excited to get into the story. The book arrived at the perfect time when the movie was released. I only watch it after I have finished reading the book. 


First of all, I love the two main characters. Agatha and Sophie. Of course, they are both really different, but they have the best friendship! I mean, Agatha. I am sure by this time, many of you have read and/or watched the movie, right? So, little spoilers are fine, I hope. Because I can't help it! I need to let it out of my chest. Let's start with Agatha. Many have called her a witch, but she has a pure heart. She was affected by those people who called her a witch. However, she tried not to be bothered by it. Hence, she lives way far away from the grave just so people can fear her. While Sophie the cute, nice girl enjoys giving and is happy with her life. She saw what happened to Agatha, so she decided to be her friend, and that's how their friendship formed. One day, the two were brought by something huge to fly away from their town to a magical school for good and evil. They landed at the opposite school. None of them believe they deserve to be where they are. One wanted to switch, while the other wanted to go home. It is not as easy as it seems. Their roles are reversed. It's fun and exhilarating.


I'm getting into this without any expectations. only the excitement of the fact that it is a fairy tale. Nothing more, nothing less. Oh boy, it is really an enjoyable read (I also enjoyed the movie as well). My imagination has gone wild trying to imagine what it would look like. The setting, the school, and so much more. It was an amazing journey following Agatha and Sophie. Although I did say that I like the two MC, I can't help but wonder why Agatha still wants to be friends with Sophie. Gosh, Sophie knows how to make me mad because of her. She is good, but she is annoying at the same time. You want to hate her, but you can't. because you will like her again and again.


The story is unique to me. It gives me fun energy; it's adventurous and humorous. It is very enjoyable read that I can’t wait to continue the journey with Agatha and Sophie again. The pacing is tolerable enough. It goes up and down and up again. What I mean is the pace. The detail is so much more in this book. Magically magnificent. Enjoy it! Anyway, before you watch the movie, I suggest you to read the book first or whichever suit you the best.


0 comments